1. Keep good company or none; never be idle.
2. If your hands are not usefully employed, attend to the cultivation of your mind.
3. Live up to your engagements; keep your own secrets if you have any.
4. When you speak to a person, look him in the face.
5. Good company and good conversation are the sinews of virtue.
6. Good character is above all things else.
7. Ever live (misfortune excepted) within your income.
8. Make no haste to be rich if you would prosper.
9. Never play at any game of chance.
10. Earn money before you spend it.
11. Never run into debt unless you see a way to get out again.
12. Never borrow if you can possibly avoid it.
13. Do not marry until you are able to support a wife.
14. Be just before you are generous.
15. Be temperate in a things.
16. Save when you are young, to spend when you are old.